Collings Acoustic Guitars - 2008 CJ Mh A SB Varnish Custom
This Collings CJ Mh A SB, serial #15023, is one of those guitars that comes in and begs to be played at first sight. With no end to its custom appointments, this slope-shouldered dread has everything you've come to expect out of the Austin, TX, maker. An Adirondack Spurce top, paired with Mahogany back and side, propels the remarkably balanced tone, a hallmark of slope-shouldered jumbos, and with an increasingly rare Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard and belly-style bridge, and a smooth Mahogany neck, you have one serious combination of tonewoods.
The back features a three-style backstrip that adds to its handsome appointments throughout, including an Ivoroid-bound body and neck, mother-of-pearl dot inlays, tortoiseshell pickguard, Waverly tuners, and a cross-cut grained Ivoroid and wood nitrate rosette. A 25 1/2" scale length and 1 11/16" nut width round out its specs. Here in Very Good condition, it does have a minor headstock ding, a few scratches to its body, and a tiny side crack that's been expertly repaired by Pat DiBurro (see photos). This Collings CJ Mh A SB Varnish is as about as gorgeous as they come and includes the original hardshell case.
- Slope-Shouldered Jumbo Dreadnought with Varnish Sunburst finish and Ivoroid binding
- Adirondack Spruce top with Tortoiseshell pickguard and cross-cut grained Ivoroid and wood nitrate rosette
- Mahogany back and sides with 3-style backstrip
- 25 1/2" scale length
- Mahogany neck with Medium-Fat C profile
- Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard with 14"-26" radius, 20 Medium 18% silver-nickel frets and Mother-of-Pearl dot inlays
- 1 11/16" nut width, bone
- Drop-In bone saddle
- Brazilian Rosewood Belly-style bridge
- Nickel Waverly tuners with 16:1 ratio
- Original Hardshell Case
- Serial #15023